I’m in no way, shape, or form an expert at making homemade biscuits.
But, I do have to give it to myself, these black pepper & sage biscuits might be some of the best I’ve ever had.
So, listen… I know these biscuits don’t look anything like a traditional flaky, pull apart biscuit. They sort of look more like English muffins or rolls, but I’m telling you… don’t knock them until you try them. Moving on!
I wanted to make a hearty vegetable pot pie over the weekend (it might be one of my favorite comfort dishes to date) and decided that instead of a pot pie, I’d plop some biscuits on top and call it a night.
I’m super glad I did – these little babies were the perfect addition. Not to mention, they’re pretty dang good on their own, too.
The black pepper and sage pair so well together and tasted amazing with raspberry jelly. I’m almost positive I ate three (or five) after making them.
How to Make Homemade Biscuits
All you need is flour, oat milk, baking powder, butter, apple cider vinegar, a dash of salt, black pepper, and dried sage!
Combine the oat milk & apple cider vinegar together for 10 minutes to create a buttermilk. While you’re waiting for your buttermilk, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Use a knife to slice the butter into small cubes (you want your butter to be really cold, pop it in the freezer for best results). With a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands, mix the butter into the dry ingredients.
Add the buttermilk to your dry ingredients and give it a good stir. The dough should be slightly sticky but not enough to stick to your hands.
Roll the biscuit dough out onto a well-floured surface, fold it onto itself, roll, and repeat about three more times.
Use a biscuit cutter to cut your biscuits and bake for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown).
This recipe is easy as can be and super delicious!
Pair it with some pot pie, sausage & gravy, or alone – you’ll be amazed at how well these homemade biscuits pair with so many dishes!Print
Homemade biscuits are a staple in my house – they’re perfect with sausage gravy, with a bit of jam, or on top of a pot pie!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Oat Milk
- 7 TBSP Butter (Plant-based or regular, unsalted)
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Black Pepper
- 1 TSP Dried Sage
- Dash of Salt
- Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and begin mixing all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cube your butter* and with a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands, incorporate it into the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into your dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- On a well-floured surface, roll the biscuit dough out with your hands and fold it over itself. Repeat this process three more times.
- Cut your biscuits out with a biscuit cutter and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!
*Remember, you want the butter to be super cold (if not frozen).
- Category: breakfast
Keywords: biscuits, breakfast